Q:I'd like to see more arts about Francois. He is so cute and I like him so much...
Two commission portraits I did for family friends, they requested a period style, fun fun c:
Q:man your stuff is looking good lately ;) do you have any color advice? I'm just not getting how to color lately and looking for resources -or any sort of pointers.
Aaah thanks much <3 this means a lot!
Hmm, color advices, lemme see… Let’s make this more overal and for wider audience if you dont mind~
1) Color scheme
- Deciding on the color scheme is the basic and while looking for one you can keep trying putting different colors together on canvas on another layer untill they fit OR you can go search for the perfect scheme on the internet.
Personally I gather a lot of materials for color schemes and learn from them, repeats them untill my brain remembers them. Here is a color scheme tag on my inspiration tumblr for example.
- When you find a color scheme that matches your sketch/lineart/overally the idea, you can just copy it or alter it or mix with other simmilar color schemes. Play with it around a bit!
- Also what I’m trying to achieve lately also is adding more colors into the painting to make it more lively. For example: grass isnt just green, there is also a bit of blue and yellow. Depends on feel/atmosphere you want to have.
- And as for single figures, adding a bit of color into shades and lights can sometime help. It’s all about experimenting and trying for yourself and finding what fits you most. Chose a style you want to achieve - style you are going for, so you know what to follow first.
- For the coloring itself, it depends on how many layers you usually use for it. Some people work with two layers (sketch/lineart layer + coloring layer) and go traditionally from background to foreground and some ppl are used to more layers 3+ etc. (Or technique of one layer and duplicating it for different painting stages - see here).
- You start with basic colors you chose from color scheme. For figure, slap the basic colors of your character on place where they belong (tip: start with darker colors)
I tried lol, I hope this makes sense.
After you are done with basic shades and lights, you can start rendering and adding more colors. From this point on it’s a question of skill and understanding how shading works.
- Keep using Eyedropper tool to pick colors from the scheme you already put on the drawing to get smoother blending (if you’re not cellshading ofc)
Tip: Watch youtube tutorials and people coloring. It’s SO helpful. Youtube is full of tutorial channels and they are worth watching.
- You will find different styles of coloring, I recommend trying out at least two or three to see if they fit you or not. Also you can combine them later to make up your own technique! The more experience and experimenting, the better.
(I’m sorry if this is confusing and not really helpful. Coloring is something I got into my hand and brain longer time ago and it’s so natural(?) I don’t even think about it anymore, so it’s hard to explain in a more complex way without show-and-tell ><)
Of what??? ><
listened to a nice talk about art block, advice was, if you don’t know what to do yourself, take existing concept and create your own thing out of it. and when i saw my LeSoldatMort's sketchech of Francois with beard or goatee, i immediatelly thought that's what to draw. Especially since i can call it even a “happy bachelor degree-passing day” present as well :D
so, here Frantois, defiled by my.. pseudo-semi-realism style or whatever it is i’m stuck with, looking surprised by anime sparkles his personal zombie, that is squatting at his crib, makes. i don’t know xD
OH MY GOD TROY WHAT THE F*CK
DID YOU JUST-
ohgod ;A; I have the best husband ever <3 This is wonderful, beatiful, magnifique, thank you so so much~!
After Long time, another promised François sketch-dump!
You hardly find anything else in my sketchbooks for past a few months yeaah. I wanted to post most of these sketches separately but nah. Let’s flood you with as many sketches of this confused young man of mine as possible ♥
Q:Good afternoon. I am just curious: what was your first drawing about your character Catherine?
Hello! Sorry I didn’t reply sooner, my askbox is messy as hell » I really appreciate your question Anon! ♥
Anyways, I think that Cath first appeared in her pirate outfit as I was going through my PotC phase back in 2004-2005. She was wearing her pirate outfit and I was drawing her as pirate for quite long time actually. I still like it a lot c: